- Wednesday, Nov 29, 2023 – On-call doesn’t need to suck; ways to help make your on-call better
KWSQA is offering this KWality Talk as in person only!
Register: Online at our KWality Talk Page,
Speaker: Ken De Souza
Being on-call can be really hard at times. Incidents happen and when they do, it can cause alert fatigue, long hours, lots of stress and not getting your day job done. In this talk, Ken will discuss his experience working for a company that grew rapidly over several years and where on-call needed to evolve to make it more humane.
As part of this talk, Ken will discuss strategies such as:
– Being an advocate for better quality software, so that it prevents outages and unnecessary alarms
– Dealing with the emotional component of the firefighting related stress when incidents happen
– How to help change your organization so that it makes on-call part of the culture.
Attendees will take away:
– Way of making your on-call rotation more humane
– Identifying ways of evolving how your on-call rotation can work effectively in order to prevent incidents from happening
– Ideas around making your alerting and monitoring better to prevent burnout and to increase your visibility.
Ken De Souza has been in software development for over 20 years. He is a software developer, currently specializing in building tools and culture related to helping developers securely deploy and monitor the code they create, with a passion for delivering high quality software at a rapid pace.
He has spoken at software development conferences over the last 10 years. He currently resides in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
KWality Talk Details
Event starts at approximately 11:55 am. Announcements and discussion start at approximately 12:00 pm. Meeting ends at approximately 1:00 pm.
151 Charles St W Suite 100, Kitchener, ON N2G 1H6
We are happy to announce that we will be holding our first in-person Kwality Talk since 2020 at Communitech! Communitech is located in the Tannery Building at 151 Charles St W. Once you arrive please enter the main lobby of the building and look out for KWSQA board members who will be waiting to direct you in green KWSQA branded shirts.
Parking: Communitech has asked that attendees park in the City of Kitchener parking lots. The closest one to Communitech is on Water Street. (Parking not included in ticket price.)
Code of Conduct
People attending our meetings are expected to adhere to the KWSQA code of conduct.